About the Job
The Associate General Counsel will provide legal support to the Gradiant Group of Companies (the “Group”) in all aspects of its operations, financial transactions, and investor relations. The Group has existing operations and projects in North America and Asia but is focusing on USA in the coming years and anticipates exponential growth in this market. As a member of the Group Legal Department, reporting into the General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel will contribute to the growth strategy and general management of the Group in the Americas region.
Functionally, this position requires well-thought-out processes and judgment on a broad range of legal and compliance matters, as well the ability to conceive, implement and monitor processes, procedures, and operational activities/issues from a legal perspective. It requires familiarity with corporate and commercial concepts, business acumen, and the ability to map a solution in a fast-paced working environment.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and statutory matters.
- Support the General Counsel to implement systems, actions and training to minimize risk.
- Manage claims and other legal matters.
- Provide legal advice to the business to manage legal risk.
- Support the General Counsel in the provision of legal services as a true business partner.
- Act in capacity of General Counsel during times of absence by the General Counsel.
- Implement and monitor corporate compliance measures (FCPA, 3rd party risks management, privacy… etc).
- Provide quality and timely legal advice to the business on a day to day basis in areas such as:
- general commercial transactions;
- project and equipment supply contracts;
- governance of local subsidiaries;
- lease and property matters;
- disputes and litigation;
- M&A and financing transactions;
- employment and safety.
- Work with and manage engagement of external legal advisers.
- Participate in and support the business in special projects as required.
- Conduct and lead training of the commercial teams as required from time to time.
- Manage litigation as occurs from time to time.
- Provide legal advice and support to each separate subsidiary of the Gradiant Group with a specific focus (60%) on US operations.
- Provide advice to the local business units commercially but fully independently, as if you were external counsel.
- Ability to take direction from the local Managing Directors about work to be undertaken, prioritizing that work and scope of responsibilities.
- Legally astute with experience in projects, construction contracts a plus
- Commercially aware
- Communication Skills
- Adaptable and results oriented
- Efficient and Effective
- Able to work independently and as part of a small team
- Law degree from a recognized institution
- Admitted to practice in one of the US States
- Minimum 7 years’ experience
- Demonstrated experience in the key aspects of this position
- A ‘self-starter’ who is able to work independently with minimal day to day supervision but in coordination with and support of business leaders
- Capacity to not merely ‘give legal advice’ but to act both as an active team member and an independent agent in resolving difficulties or pushing projects forward
- Communicate effectively with impact and sets ambitious strategic goals with a focus on internal stakeholders/ clients and external customers
- Willingness to continuously learn and adopt agile ways of working
- Travel requirements: Regular travel in the US and Canada; occasional travels to Asia
- Cultural diversity & Equal Employment opportunity principles, Occupational Health & Safety practiced and promoted