The Senior Mechanical Engineer is a key technical role responsible for leading the mechanical design and engineering aspects of equipment for ultrapure water (UPW) and wastewater treatment projects. The individual in this position will play a crucial role in designing, selecting, and overseeing the installation and commissioning of various mechanical components and equipment within UPW and wastewater treatment systems. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to ensure the successful implementation of projects while adhering to industry standards and best practices.
- Mechanical Design and System Integration: Lead the mechanical design of UPW and wastewater treatment systems, including the selection and sizing of equipment such as process vessels, pumps, compressors, heat exchangers, dewatering devices, and other mechanical components. Ensure seamless integration of these components into the overall treatment system.
- Equipment Specification and Procurement: Prepare technical specifications for mechanical equipment and work with vendors to procure the required components. Evaluate equipment proposals and make recommendations based on technical and budgetary considerations.
- Project Planning and Execution: Collaborate with project managers and other engineering disciplines to plan and execute UPW and wastewater treatment projects. Participate in project meetings, design reviews, and progress assessments to ensure project objectives are met.
- Mechanical Engineering Analysis: Perform engineering calculations, simulations, and modeling to assess the performance and reliability of mechanical systems. Address technical challenges and propose solutions to optimize system performance.
- Quality Control and Compliance: Ensure that all mechanical designs and installations comply with applicable codes, standards, and industry best practices. Conduct quality control reviews to verify design integrity and safety.
- Project Commissioning and Start-up: Provide technical support during the commissioning and start-up phases of UPW and wastewater treatment projects. Collaborate with field engineers and operations personnel to ensure the successful operation of mechanical systems.
- Troubleshooting and Maintenance Support: Provide technical expertise to troubleshoot mechanical issues during the operation of UPW and wastewater treatment systems. Develop maintenance strategies to maximize equipment reliability and longevity.
- Health, Safety, and Environmental Compliance: Prioritize health, safety, and environmental considerations in all mechanical design aspects. Ensure that systems are designed and operated in compliance with relevant safety regulations and environmental standards.
- Cost Estimation and Budget Management: Collaborate with the project team to prepare cost estimates for mechanical components and equipment. Identify cost-saving opportunities where applicable.
- Continuous Learning and Professional Development: Stay informed about emerging technologies, trends, and advancements in UPW and wastewater treatment, and related mechanical engineering fields. Participate in relevant training and professional development activities.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Significant experience (typically 10+ years) in mechanical engineering with expertise in UPW and/or wastewater treatment systems.
- Proficiency in mechanical design software and engineering analysis tools.
- Strong understanding of various mechanical components and equipment used in UPW and/or wastewater treatment systems.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work effectively within cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of health, safety, and environmental regulations related to mechanical engineering and UPW and/or wastewater treatment projects.